Friday, January 15, 2010

Visit to my Sister’s House: (Part 2: What Would You Do For a Louis Bag??)

Anyone that knows my sister, knows that she is a label obsessed, name chasing groupie. She likes the finer things in life and thankfully her and her husband can afford it. She spends hundreds of dollars on Christian Louboutin shoes, LV hand bags, Gucci, Chanel and Prada shades. Her kids are dressed in head to toe Burberry, Juicy, and every other expensive label there is. My oldest niece wants her own Louis bag, and she’s only 6. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this, I was the same way before I bought my house. But now that I have a mortgage to pay I can’t buy those things as easily and as freely as Iwould like to. Which leads me to the point of this blog.

Yesterday, at my sister’s house, I was in the kitchen keeping her company as she prepared dinner (baked ziti, salad, and garlic bread mmmmmm delicious). I was working on my blog when Johanny arrived from work. He greeted us as he walked in and once he settled in he joined us in the kitchen. We began talking about our day. He gave me some suggestions on my book we basically we’re just catching up.

While Johanny and I were talking Diana was serving dinner. As she begins placing the plates on the table she tells me about this new Louis bag that she wants. My sister needs a new Louis bag like she needs another head and Johanny has no problem telling her so. The problem is that although Johanny tries to keep his hands on the purse strings (no pun intended), Diana always manages to get what she wants. Johanny’s pleas of trying to get Diana to stop spending money don’t often succeed because although he has every intention to sticking to his word he always give in.

For example, take this recent desire for Diana wanting a new purse. Johanny initially told her no she couldn’t buy it. After a couple of “pretty pleases”  and a little negotiation he gives in.

Diana: Honey I saw this new Louis bag that I want to get.

Johanny: No, Diana. We already spend too much money and you have enough bags.

Diana: Please honey. It’s a new style and I don’t have this style.

Johanny: No Diana.

Diana: Please honey. I’ll cook dinner for you every day.

Johanny: Hmmmmm. Let me think about it.

Diana: Pretty please.

Johanny: How about you cook every day plus give me “okaaaaaay papiiiiiii” (their term for felatio, it’s a family inside joke) 5 times a week for 10 minutes straight.

Diana: Damnnnn. 5 days a week for 10 minutes?? (She scratches her head and thinks about it for a minute). How about I cook everyday, give you “okay papi” 3 times a week for 7 minutes straight.

Johanny: Ok. That’s a deal.

Now, keep in mind, I’m sitting there at the dinner table while dinner is being served listening to this negotiation going on. I almost wanted to die from hysteria. What can I say, this is normal for this family. But it made me think about marriage and how the dynamics of a relationship change once you’ve said those two magical words “I do”. 

What negotiation techniques would you use to get something that you really wanted?

[Via http://ms808nhartbreak.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment