Monday, March 1, 2010

I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.

The above quote by Hitchhiker’s Guide writer Douglas Adams brings me to an article in today’s Metro newspaper.

Looking at the relationship between religion and intelligence, a study conducted by evolutionary psychologist Dr. Satoshi Kanazawa of the London School of Economics claims that teenagers that didn’t believe in God had an average IQ of 106, while those with deep religious convictions had an average IQ of 95, the reasoning being that people who were more open to new ideas – such as questioning religion – were naturally more intelligent.

No more church for me.

Looking at relationships and intelligence, Dr. Kanazawa’s study goes on to report that men who are unfaithful to their partners are likely to have lower IQs than men that are faithful. I’d just like to say at this point to my partner Jane – Jane, if you read this, my lower IQ has nothing at all to do with me being unfaithful, I’m just naturally dim.

According to Dr. Kanazawa “…more intelligent men are more likely to value sexual exclusivity than less intelligent men”. This theory has of course been born out recently by Chelsea footballers John Terry and Ashley Cole, both hitting the headlines for their extra-marital activities. Footballers have never exactly been known for their brains, and John Terry knocking off fellow footballer Wayne Bridge’s ex-girlfriend is not going to earn him a medal position at Mensa.

"I, John, take you, Toni, for my lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until I knock off Wayne Bridge’s ex-girlfriend Vanessa."

[Via http://to55er.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment